RETAINERS & AFTERCARE
Having teeth straightening is a big commitment and we feel it is important the patients maintain the best results possible from any treatment they have with us. We provide retainers, which help keep teeth where they are after treatment, rather than moving back to where they were before, as well as aftercare advice from our experienced dentist.
If you have any questions about retainers or aftercare, you can call our team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, please book an appointment, where our dentist Elif will be able to go through any questions or concerns you may have.
Retainers are designed to maintain your teeth in their corrected positions. Follow these instructions carefully:
1. Retainers should always be worn as instructed
2. Retainers should be worn as long as you want to retain the position of your teeth
3. Retainers can be cleaned by brushing with toothpaste. If you don’t clean regularly, a hard deposit will accumulate on the surface and irritate your gums
4. Please remember to bring your retainer to each appointment
5. When it’s not in your mouth, keep the retainer in the special case given to you (not in your pocket or wrapped in a paper towel or napkin-it will surely be thrown away). The plastic retainer case will protect your retainer from accidental damage or breakage under excessive pressure.
6. Keep retainers away from pets as they love to chew on them.
Your bonded retainer will be cleaned when you brush (and floss!) your teeth. We have lots of tools in the office to help you, toothbrushes, Retainer Brite tablets, and special flossers that can fit between the teeth for the bonded retainers.
We want you to have straight teeth for a lifetime, and retention is a lifetime process!
Floss regularly using a floss threader.
Avoid biting into hard foods (carrots, apples, etc.) and objects, such as pens, to prevent breakage.
WARNING: Not wearing your retainer (for even a few days) could cause your teeth to shift. If your teeth shift significantly, your retainer will no longer fit properly and you will need a new one. Please call our friendly team at Boston Orthodontics right away if you are having any problems with your retainer. NOTE: There is a fee to replace a retainer that no longer fits, is lost, or is broken.